CS-06: Database Management Systems
Assignment Code : BCA(4)/TMA/09
Maximum Marks : 25
Last Date of Submission : 30 th April, 2009/30th October, 2009
There are four questions in this Assignment. Answer all the questions
Q.1 Explain architecture of Distributed Database systems? Also, explain the reasons for building distributed database systems? (5 Marks)
Q .2 New City Studio Records company has decided to store information about musicians who perform on its albums (as well as other company data) in a database. The company has wisely chosen to hire you as a database designer.
· Each musician that records at the company has an SSN, a name, an address, and a phone number. Poorly paid musicians often share the same address, and no address has more than one phone.
· Each instrument used in songs recorded at the studio has a unique identification number, a name(e.g., guitar, synthesizer,, flute) and a musical key (e.g., C, B-flat,E-flat).
· Each album recorded on the Studio has a title, a copyright date, a format (e.g., CD or MC), and an album identifier.
· Each song recorded at the Studio has a title and an author.
· Each musician may play several instruments, and a given instrument may be played by several musicians.
· Each album has a number of songs on it, but no song may appear on more than one album.
· Each song is performed by one or more musicians, and a musician may perform a number of songs.
· Each album has exactly one musician who acts as its producer. A musician may produce several albums, of course.
Draw an ER diagram for the above said schema. (5 Marks)
Q. 3 Consider the following Relations:
Student(rollno: integer, sname: string, major: string, level: string, age: integer)
Class(cname: siring, meets at: string, room: string, fid: integer)
Enrolled(rollno.- integer, cname: string)
Faculty(fid: integer, fname: string, deptid: integer)
The meaning of these relations is straightforward; for example, Enrolled has one record per student-class pair such that the student is enrolled in the class.
Write the following queries in SQL. No duplicates should be printed in any of the answers.
Download Attached PDF