Bengal Engineering and Science University, (BESU) is located at Shibpur in Howrah of the state West Bengal, India. The University was established as Civil Engineering College, Calcutta, way back in 1856 with the idea of introducing engineering education in the country, has a long and checkered past. The University was known as Calcutta Civil Engineering College on and from 24th November, 1856, when there were only 10 students and a few instructive staff. From 12th February, 1920 the name was changed to B.E. College Shibpur. The word Shibpur was deleted from 24th March, 1921.
In recognition of its service to the nation for all these years, the college was elevated to the status of a Deemed University in 1992 and the Honourable President of India, Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma, formally inaugurated Bengal Engineering College (A Deemed University) on March 13, 1993. On 1st October, 2004, the deemed university was elevated to the status of a University with its present name.
The University is located in the sylvan surrounding on the western bank of the Hoogli River in Howrah, opposite the city of Kolkata, which is connected by transportation to all the major Indian cities as well as to some foreign ones by rail transport and air routes and also by the Golden Quadrangle Road Network presently nearing completion. The nearest railway station is Shalimar Station, which is two kilometres from the University Campus, and the Airport is at a distance of thirty kilometres from the Main Gate of the campus.
Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur welcomes candidates successful in JEE and wish to join the UG programme in one of the 10 Engineering Departments including Architecture.
The University offers AICTE approved 4-semester post graduate courses leading to Master of Engineering degree in 8 disciplines, namely, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Metallurgy, Mining, Electronics and Tele-Communication, Computer Science and Technology, Engineering Mechanics and Mining and a 4-semester post graduate degree course in Master of Town & Regional Planning.
In addition to above, the Institution also offers the following Post-Gradute Cources
* 6-semester course in Master of Computer Applications(MCA).
* 6-semester part-time evening Post-graduate courses in Civil Engineering in three areas of specialization namely Structural Engineering, Geo-technical Engineering & Environmental Engineering.
* 6-semester part-time evening course in Industrial Metallurgy.
* 4-semester full time course in Master of Business Administration (MBA) under the aegis of BECSOMS.
* 6-semester part time course in Information Technology, under PDSIT.
* 1 year post-graduate diploma in Bio-Informatics.
* 4 semester full time course in Master of Science in Applied Physics, Applied Chemistry, Applied Mathematics and Applied Geology.
* 4 semester full time in Materials Engineering leading to Master of Technology.
* Ph. D
Bengal Engineering And Science University, Shibpur
P.O. - Botanic Garden
Pin - 711103.
Ph. No. - +91 033 2668 4561-63
Fax : +91 033 2668 2916
Website : www.becs.ac.in